Friday, January 15, 2010

The End of the Beginning


Have we reached the tortured end? Yep, almost (at least for the moment…. hehehehe).  But before I leave the topic of time dilation and special relativity, I’d like to address time dilation in the real world, as opposed to the imaginary world of Einstein-style thought experiments featuring vaguely vagina-shaped spacecraft carrying excited male celebrities. 

Did you know that, every second of every day, subatomic particles, mostly protons, strike our atmosphere?  You may have heard them referred to as cosmic rays.  They are most definitely not rays, though; protons are bona fide particles with bona fide masses.  And despite the name, cosmic ray, they’re hardly exotic; there are one or more protons inside every atom in your body, and inside every atom in the universe. 

As cosmic rays, though, protons travel to us over phenomenal distances often after being spun up by black holes to about 0.99 of the speed of light.  When these naked protons (by naked, I mean they’re not part of an atom) strike the gas molecules in our upper atmosphere, about 15 kilometers above the ground, they immediately decay.  One of the byproducts of proton decay is a particle called a muon, which continues through the atmosphere in roughly the same path as the originating proton at roughly that same high rate of speed.  Now, one thing about muons is that they’re very short-lived particles.  They take an average of just two-millionths of a second to decay into other particles. That’s just an average, mind you.  Some muons survive for a little more time than two-millionths of a second, while others survive for a little less. 

At a velocity of about 0.99 the speed of light, or 297,000 kilometers per second, how far do muons travel through the atmosphere before they decay?

Distance equals speed multiplied by time.  In the muon’s frame of reference, 297,000 kilometers multiplied by two-millionths of a second (their average time of existence) yields roughly 0.6 of a kilometer.  This means that the average muon doesn’t even come close to covering the distance between the top of the atmosphere, where it was created, and the ground, before it decays.  Even the muons that beat the average, and survive for a little longer than two-millionths of a second, don’t make it.

That’s a good thing, because muons are radioactive.  Exposure to them can cause cancer.  But, is it really the case that muons never travel far enough to cause us any harm?  So far, our discussion about how long a muon exists, and how far it travels through the atmosphere, has been from the muon’s frame of reference.  In our (the Earth’s) frame of reference, which is at rest compared to the muons, we’ve got to factor in the extra distance that the muon is going to cover due to time dilation.  For a muon traveling at 0.99 light speed, time is stretched by a factor of about four.  In our frame of reference, therefore, instead of existing (and traveling) for about two-millionths of a second, the average muon exists for about eight-millionths of a second.  That is enough time to traverse about two and a half kilometers before decaying.

But that’s just the average muon.  For muons that decay more slowly than average, time dilation makes just enough of a difference that they do manage to reach the surface, and maybe even hit you or I.  It’s not a lot of muons; statistically, only about four out of every hundred last long enough for the combination of their relative longevity, compared to other muons, and time dilation, to make it all the way down.

From our earlier discussions, you’ll recall that, for the object traveling quickly, time is locally the same as it is for you, and the phenomenon of time dilation is manifest as space compression.  In the muon’s frame of reference, it lasts exactly as long as it should (on average, only two-millionths of a second).  Thus, the (statistically) most durable muons manage to make it all the way through the atmosphere, not because time dilation extends their lifetime, but because the distance between the top of the atmosphere and the ground is compressed by a factor of four.  
 
You could verify the presence of muons reaching the surface with a simple Geiger counter.  Being radioactive little beasties, some of the clicks you would hear when you turned on the counter would be in response to their presence.  If you climbed a mountain, and turned the Geiger counter on up there, you would hear more frequent clicks, because more muons make it that far.

The bottom line: Time dilation is real, influencing real events in our real lives. And that’s a wrap on the topic, at least for now.  I just have to “close the loop” between time dilation and my late friend Karl, my original motivation to research and write these blogs.  Frankly, the connection is kind of a downer.  I’ve had four different surgeries in the last couple of years for skin cancer.  Would I have escaped the cancer scourge if not for time dilation?  I don’t know.  Karl died of complications due to surgery necessitated by the strong suspicion that he had colon cancer.  I wonder if he would be alive today, too, if the phenomenon didn’t exist.

Ah, well.  Time dilation is built into the very fabric of our reality, so there’s no point in wishing.  I just hope you’ve enjoyed finding out what it’s all about.  I know Karl would have!




 


15 comments:

  1. Robert I admit I thought I knew a bit about Special Relativity before your blog, but this was the first time I ever actually tried the math. Thanks.

    Will the blogs continue?

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Next up: General Relativity. But not for a few days... I need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robert, I have enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you, Dale! And please call me Rob, or Whab... Robert is so formal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, not Bobby or Bob! I never liked that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob. I have one final question regarding time dilation before we move on, if I may.

    In the last two situations I described, one had George and Shirley moving, and the other had, for all intents and purposes, EVERYTHING BUT George and Shirley moving. It is impossible really to tell which is which, but the results are the exact opposite.

    Is it possible that there is some kind of "temporal inertial mass" that decides? Like for just George and Shirley to accelerate up to light speed, they feel ALL the dilation. But if half of the universe accelarates to light speed relative to the other half, there is really no difference than for each half to accelarate in the opposite direction to half light speed. Then there would be no difference in dilation for each half relative to the other. In other words, the less the proportion of "temporal inertial mass", the greater the dilation effect.

    Doesn't there have to be a method to determine who gets what dilation factor?

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whabby, I just had quiet time to sit and read all the way through the rest of the blog(s). I believe I understand now though I couldn't successfully explain it to anyone else, I'm afraid. LOL Thank you SO much for explaining all this.

    Did Einstein come up with the whole theory and formulas?

    I'm sorry you have had ongoing cancer issues, Whabby. :( I'm a two-time cancer survivor, myself. Cancer-free now since 1993 though! Yay! I just wonder, though...

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doug understands it better than I do...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doug: I've been giving this some thought ever since you posted it, and the bottom line is, I have an answer, but no confidence that it is the correct answer. You've pulled me into considering a situation that I hadn't thought about during the research and writing of these blogs!

    So, here's my best guess. Let's recast your question with a simpler situation: two Shirleys, both moving with respect to you on the Earth's surface. One is moving toward you along the line to your right, the other one along the line to your left. Forget about you; how fast would Shirley A measure time passing on Shirley B?

    My hunch is that there is no privileged mass; if they are both traveling at 10% of the speed of light, then relative to each other, they are moving at 20% of light speed, and each would measure time on the other as being just as slowed as it would be if Shirley A was stationary, and Shirley B was moving at 20% of lightspeed.

    But here's where my suspicion arises that the situation may not be that simple. According to my story, if each spacecraft was traveling at 49.99% of lightspeed, then both would measure time slowing on the other spacecraft equivalent to one being stationary and the other going 99.98% of lightspeed (close to the situation in the third version of the thought experiment in the blogs). So far, everything would be fine. But there's nothing to prevent both spacecraft from going faster than that, all the way up to close to lightspeed. If both craft were going exactly half the speed of light, would one measure time on the other as passing infinitely slowly, because the situation is equivalent to one craft being stationary and the other traveling at 100% of lightspeed?

    I don't know the answer, but I have my doubts. I wish I knew a physicist who could enlighten me! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie, congrats on being a cancer survivor! I do believe Einstein came up with most of this, although he built on important work by Lorentz and James Clerk Maxwell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must be doing something wrong. Even though I am following your blog, I didn't get an e-mail alert when you posted an update. Hence, many moons later, I'm reading your fantastic expositions. Thank you so much; I've enjoyed the ride immensely. And thank you for giving us science in a manner which is accessible and fun?!

    Entranced

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Terry! Glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete